The Waconia Show Choirs combine singing and dancing with elaborate costumes and props to create a thrilling 20 minute “Broadway/Vegas” style show. They perform a wide variety of music from Broadway show-tunes to the latest “chart toppers” occasionally performing a comedy number or some nostalgic numbers from generations past. The Power Company Family of show choirs began as the Wildcat Show Choir in the Fall of 1998 with 24 singers, a small rhythm section a very small budget and a ton of heart. The students in that group set the tone for what was to come and they continue to have a large part in our success today.
Today, the Power Company Family of Show Choirs, includes five co-curricular show choirs, a show choir camp and over 300 student participants. Leading the way is Power Company, our Award Winning Varsity show choir featuring around 50 singers a 20 piece band (Megawatt) and 10 stage crew members. In 2005-06 an additional show choir was formed to give more students an opportunity to develop their talent and grow as performers. That first year we had 18 girls and used taped accompaniment. Today, The Current, our JV Show Choir features around 60 singers, a 20 member student-led band (Watt) and 5-6 stage crew members. ILLUMINATIONS is the newest group to join the Power Company Family of Show Choirs. This is our first all female group at the high school level consisting of about 25 girls, a small show band combo, and is directed / choreographed by Evan Jones.
Our Middle school program has also become quite popular and now offers two additional show choirs. Shockwave for eighth grade girls and 7th and 8th grade boys is a great experience for those wanting an opportunity to perform in show choir. The Pulse, our youngest group was started in the 2010-11 school year and provides an introductory show choir experience for our 7th grade girls.
Rounding out the Family of show choir experiences is the Power Company Show Choir Camps offered in the summer through Community Ed. These camps are offered over two different weeks in the summer and cater to students entering grades three through nine and provide an opportunity for young students interested in exploring show choir.
The Power Company Family of show choirs present three large events each year for our family, friends and fans. The Spaghetti Dinner in early January, Star Power in Mid-February and the Show Choir Spectacular in April, follow the links below for more information. All three events are extremely popular and advance ticket purchases are highly encouraged to guarantee a seat.
Show Choir Events 2013-14
- Friday, January 10 - Show Choir Spaghetti Dinner, Waconia, MN
- January 17-18 - Milton HS - Milton, WI Click here for Milton Performance Schedule Link to Live Stream
- January 25 - Muscatine HS - Muscatine, IA Click here for Muscatine Performance Schedule
- February 1 - Kennedy HS - Bloomington, MN Click here for the Kennedy Performance Schedule
- February 8, Showcase - Logan HS, La Crosse, WI Click here for Logan Performance schedule -updated 1/8
- February 15 - Star Power, Waconia, MN
- February 21-22 - Great River -Adler Theatre- Davenport, IA
- February 27-March 2 - Chicagoland Showcase - John Hersey HS, Arlington Heights, IL
- April 10, 11, 12 - Show Choir Spectacular, Waconia, MN
Show Choir 2013-14 Audition Results
Click Here to Download the 2013-14 Rosters - Updated 9/26/13